Hotmail, one of the world’s first and most trusted webmail service was first launched in 1996 by Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith in Mountain View, California. Later in the year it was acquired by Microsoft in 1997 and relaunched soon as MSN Hotmail (Microsoft Software Network). It has got many useful and important features which also include a two steps verification system.
Two-step verification is a very easy but very important and secure method at present to login to your email account without getting hacked. The use of this method requires a user to have a Mobile number or an alternative mailing addresslinked to their email address.The feature secures your account from being hacked or misuse from other user.
How to Activate 2 step Verification for Your Hotmail Account
When this feature is activated on your account, first you need to enter your password along with the username. On the next page you will be given an option between your Mobile number or your alternative email address where a verification code will be send which you need to enter on the next page to login to your email account. If someone has somehow got access to your password still they cannot do anything wrong with your account. So, isn’t it a really cool feature?
Method to activate two step verification for your Hotmail Account:
- Open the default browser of your laptop.
- Search for ‘Hotmail Security Setting Page’ in the search bar of the browser.
- Once all the results are obtained, click on the first result that you obtained.
- You will be directed to a new page, after scrolling down you will find a ‘security setting page’ link. Click on it and you will be redirected to the Hotmail login page (this step will only take place if you are not already signed in to your account).
- Once the Hotmail login page appears, fill all your credentials like username and password to login to your Hotmail account.
- On the next page you will be asked to enter the last four digits of your registered mobile number in order to verify your identity because you are accessing some critical information related to your account(this step is required only if you have already linked your mobile number with your Hotmail account).
- Once you have entered the last four digits of your mobile number, a OTP(One Time Password) will be sent to your mobile number.
- After the verification of OTP(One Time Password) for you mobile number, on the new page a option in blue appears to ask for your final confirmation to set up one step verification. Confirm by clicking on ‘Set it up now’ option on this page.
- On the next page, you need to select the type of mobile device which you are using eg, Windows Phone, Android or an iPhone. Select type of your device and hint ‘next’ button.
- Install ‘Microsoft Account’ app on your device and login with your credentials of the email account.
- Come back to the browser from where you left, and press ‘Next’.
Once you have done all these steps carefully, your account will be successfully activated for two step verification. Now you need not worry for your account’s safety, because now Microsoft will take care of it. So relax and enjoy.